Amen Corner

The 12th at Augusta. It's iconic, don't you think?


I decided to do the above scene as a prize for our golf club's annual scramble tournament, which my group won last year, by the way (ahem). There is very little money in the kitty as we don't have dues, so the tournament winners only get bragging rights and maybe a box of balls.

After the winners are announced we have a fun putting contest on the bocce ball courts followed by a door-prize drawing. They pile all the prizes on a table and if your number is drawn, you get to choose a prize from the table. Prizes are pretty much generosity gifts from the various merchants around town. One of our members has a son who works at Taylor Made and we get a lot of swag from them.

I ruminated over whether I wanted to undertake such an endeavor, given the possibility it might be the last prize on the table. But I know at least some of the ladies in my gang might jump at the chance to take it, even if it gets hung in the garage, so I decided to do it. I asked the guys who run the tournament what they thought and they just kind of shrugged and shuffled their feet and didn't know what to say. One guy popped up and said, "How about the 12th at Augusta!" I had been thinking of doing a scene from one of the courses we play, but after I thought about it I knew it was a great idea. Everybody recognizes it. If you're into golf, that is.


There are hundreds of scenes of this hole, but I chose this rendering for the layout because I liked the composition. I have several photographs to use in the composite.

I worked up the drawing using the Grid Method. I have only drawn the bottom half so far because I am waiting delivery of the sky fabric, which is usually the first piece to go down. I am going to fuse the trees onto the sky. I have looked at that bridge upside down, backward and sideways, but seeing it here I can immediately see two of the tunnels seem to be leaning right--I shoulda used a compass. A major drag to correct at this point, but doable. Better now than seeing it in the finished piece!


Since I am using the fusing method, I need a plastic overlay for proper placement of the fused pieces. My fine-point Sharpie pen had dried up so I used a fat Sharpie. Only Sharpie works, every other stinkin' pen in my house smudges and wipes off the plastic. I used orange for some unknown reason.


And, since I am combining the fusing method with my glue-stick overlap zigzag method, I need two freezer paper drawings--one reversed. I thought it would be clever to do the original drawing on poster board. Boy was that dumb, you can't see through it. But then, I hadn't yet decided I'd be doing a reverse drawing. Again, the Sharpie pen was sadly missed. I used pencil.


Fabric selections.

Wish me luck!

Comments