Happy Christmas, Y'all!!!

Been busy? Yeah, us too. When you live in a retirement community, where everyone is unemployed and not only has time on their hands but disposable income, when the holidays roll around there are more parties than is probably good for us. But I will say this--we are sitting home for New Year's Eve this year. You know you're getting old when staying home sounds better than going out on New Year's Eve.

We went to see Johnny Mathis. He's 80 now, much older than this album cover. He was okay, but then again, he's 80. Still packing the house, but....maybe time to hang up the ornaments.


We went to a street party. Well, not so much a street party as a party for the people on our street, which comprises 12 homes. The hosts "made" us do some silly stuff before we could have a drink. It was like herding cats, but we complied and were presented with this photo:



I saw this spiderweb this morning and it is so intriguing. The web was like fine tulle.


Isn't it cool? I never saw one like it before, its body is about 1" long.


One of our neighbors has cancer and we have all been taking dinners to her husband. That's the kind of place we live in. 💗 I was looking for a way to cook pork chops because I don't make pork chops very well and pork was on sale, and I found this recipe. I've made it twice now and it's a keeper. It's very, very good. Five stars.

The ingredients are pork chops, cabbage, bacon, onion. Supporting players are apple, chicken broth, apple cider, and sage. And some salt and pepper.
 

Cook two slices of bacon (or more), remove it and cut it into pieces. Set aside.

Brown big, fat pork chops in the same pan--you can add more bacon fat if you want, I did. While they are browning, chop the cabbage and the onions. Remove the pork chops to a plate and brown the onions, and then brown the cabbage. The recipe said to slice the onions and cabbage very thin but I chopped it big and I would say my way is better.



If you try to cook everything at once, it won't brown and browned food is where the flavor is. You want everything to be caramelized. I always cook the components separately and then marry them together. Add the chopped apple to the cabbage and keep cooking it down. When you are happy, nestle the pork chops and onions back into the pan--and don't forget the bacon!


Pour in a half cup of apple cider and a half cup of chicken broth. Cover and bake at 350° for about an hour, maybe a little more if you have a shitty oven like I do.

It's sweet and wonderful and the apples balance the....well, all the flavors go together beautifully. This would be great for company because you could do it beforehand and it bakes a long time. And it's DELICIOUS!!


Comments

Anonymous said…
Merry Christmas! Great photo--I printed it for Judy. Yummy pork chops dish. Please make it whenever I visit. No one here eats pork chops, onions, or cabbage except me. Tree is partially up and waiting for decorations. I'm shopping and enjoying my time. xoxo, Mike
Dianne Mutcher said…
Rain. I fixed pork chops and cabbage from the recipe you posted. It was very tasty. Thank your for sharing and Happy New Year.