Poppies

I have begun work on Golden Poppies. But I am seriously low on greens and blues for the background, so I ordered some fat quarter bundles and I am awaiting their arrival before I continue. I ordered from Hancock’s of Paducah so I know it will be a while. I have other sites that I get faster delivery from, but I wanted bundles to build my stash back up. The closest quilt store is over 50 miles away, can you believe it?

The poppies don’t look like much against the white background, but when I lay down some dark blues and greens they should pop. And the quilting will help as well.

IMG_2950

I have been playing golf as usual, and the California Poppies are just beginning to sprout in the chaparral. They are seriously a lot more vibrant orange than my poppies. Oh well. Orange thread should ameliorate that problem. It is what it is. In another week or two the prickly pear cactus should be in bloom—the blossoms that will become pears are just now budding. I’ll get pictures.

Around here, the bougainvillea is goin’ to town. I just love this magnificent bush. It’s not only beautiful, it provides privacy and blocks the streetlight below our bedroom. And it knocks me out every morning when I open the doors.
IMG_2951

Everything is waking up on our terrace. The photo hardly captures the vibrant colors of the succulents. We had a good storm recently, which knocked off a bunch of the red bracts from these bougainvillea. The flower is a tiny 1/4” white flower. You can see them in the above photo if you look real close.

IMG_2952

Here is the definitive on the house—they sent an independent soil engineer out to look at our houses and he says the soil our house sits on, which is clay and expansive (it’s quite infamous in these parts), and when it got wet it expanded around the perimeter of the house, creating a “bowl” effect, which is why only the interior, non-load-bearing walls are affected. Makes sense. Houses in California are very flexible because of earthquakes, so settling cracks are the norm. Although these are not true settling cracks, the idea is the same. They are going to watch it for a while (i.e. bide their  time) to see what it does through the wet winter, which so far has not been very wet, and then they’ll fix it. I have to say, nothing has gotten worse, in fact the biggest crack seems to have closed a tiny bit—but that could be my imagination, no way to tell. They don’t have to lift up the whole foundation or anything, just re-attach the walls and ceiling and move the baseboards. One day of work. We were thinking we’d have to move out. Nope.

Here’s today’s golf picture. This is the Greg Norman course at PGA West (La Quinta) where we used to live. I forget which hole this is, 15 maybe. So beautiful. Speaking of golf, my game is okay, this week was not as good as last, but I have a little shoulder problem I can blame. Not rotator cuff, but “Frozen Shoulder.” Who knew…it’s age-related…but they say to move it and stretch it a lot, and golf actually makes it feel better, so there you go. It does limit my range of motion to an extent, but just on the front nine. By the time I hit #10, it’s all loosened up.

DSCF1130

Comments

Sue said…
Finally catching up on all your doings.....way behind on my blog world . So glad the house is a fixable thing....unless of course, they want to just build you a new one with equally fantastic location and just transport you there. Can't believe you moved somewhere that is 50 mi from a LQS.....
Sorry about the shoulder issues.....I have no issues to blame my game on. And we certainly don't have the gorgeous views that you have. I have been trying to play more frequently and that is helping.
Love California poppies....will watch this one come together with envy.
Wow, that bougainvillea is really something! I looked it up and we'd have to put it in a pot so it could come indoors in the winter, but it might be worth it. Lucky you to wake up and see that.

Good news about the house cracks.

Poppy quilt looks like it'll be fun; where is it going to hang?