Alive ‘n Kickin

I haven’t posted in a while because it has been business as usual around here, but we are going great guns.

Our weather has cooled down somewhat and there is [a little] rain in the forecast. We and our neighbors went golfing yesterday at Casta del Sol, which is a challenging executive course with many elevations and drainage culverts to get over. I shot a 94. If only I could putt…

JJ went with us, and he played! This was a momentous occasion as he has not played in over ten years. The “Golf Gang” has been after me to get him out there. He started out great, our jaws dropped (he used to be a pretty good player). But it wasn’t long before the “old muscle memory” kicked in and things went downhill. He has an odd twist/loop in his swing and he tries to “kill” the ball, which never works. He sat out a few holes and said never again—final answer. He doesn’t like it enough to want to learn all over again. You have to get up early, which is definitely not his thing, plus it’s a long process to learn golf. You have to practice. Thinking back, I remember all the lessons I took, how long and hard I worked at it, and the grief I took when I first started playing club golf. Oy! I don’t think I’d relish starting over at this stage of life either.

MVC-604S

Casta del Sol: Not the prettiest golf course, but nice enough. And short. And cheap.

It is early spring in southern California, and that means golden poppies, our state flower. If we get a wet winter, which we didn’t, whole hillsides  are covered in beautiful golden blooms for miles in every direction. Maybe up north…they got a good soaking in northern Cali. But not here, not yet anyway.

poppy1

I am thinking of doing poppies for my next piece but I am having trouble finding the perfect color fabric. Golden poppies are closer to orange than yellow, but the oranges I have are ORANGE, and poppies are not yellow. I guess it doesn’t really matter much, but whatever it is, I need to get into the studio. I’m getting twitchy!

Around here, we got our pavers sealed and they did a terrible job. It got late and they ran out of light and they didn’t get up all the sand before they applied the sealer. They came back and repaired it and it looked worse. Then they sent out the A Team and wire-brushed what sand they could and it looks better, but still a disappointment. I am looking forward to the rain this weekend because there is a fine layer of dust on everything.

It’s always something, right?

The gaps between the walls and ceiling/floor have not gotten any worse. We appear to have stabilized. The builder sent out a structural engineer and a soil engineer who determined that our problem lies  under the slab, where the soil is clay and therefore expansive. In layman terms, the slab torqued. They’re actually flexible, who knew. Next, the building engineer is going to map out the floor to see where it needs shoring up. This will be interesting—what do they do, lift the house off it’s foundation? They all assure us it can be fixed, that they’ve seen worse. I am tired of people marching through my house looking at and taking pictures of the damage, but I am strangely calm about it. I mean, what can you do? We can’t move, we’d never be able to sell, and we love it here. Meanwhile our neighbor on the other side is now having the same problem. That makes five homes on our street. That I know of.

That’s all the news. We’re healthy, and that’s the most important thing. Everything else is just stuff.

Comments

Anonymous said…
All excited~thought Jim was ready to play golf again~guess not~we need to find a time to get together and "eat drink and be merry" and maybe a game of golf with Jim being our caddy!!!!
Let me know if you have any free time and maybe we can put something together.
Love Ya
Cheryl