Ho Ho Ho

I hope everyone had a nice Christmas. Ours was short but sweet. Everyone liked their prezzies and Michelle made a delicious lunch of butternut squash soup and salad. Chris made grilled cheese sandwiches, but neither Michelle nor I can eat wheat bread (gluten). At least I have company.

Speaking of gluten...nice segue, I thought so, thank you. I tell ya, it is hard to stay gluten-free at the holidays! A little cookie here, a bite of pecan square there, and every appetizer either has bread in it or it is sitting on bread. A little bit seems so innocuous at time, but it is cumulative. I had a sandwich after golf last week--lunch comes with the greens fee, so we all go into the bar and eat after the round. I usually don't eat the bread, but this time it was really good rye bread, perfectly grilled, and I was really hungry. So I didn't stop at one bite but I ate the whole thing--screw it. A few days later we went to a party and the hosts had it catered--with people wandering around with trays of hors d'oeuvres, all on bread products. The entree was turkey Wellington, which meant it was wrapped in puff pastry. The side dish was scalloped corn (I think) and it had bread crumbs on top. Sigh. I tried to eat around the pastry and I turned my back to the decorated Christmas sugar cookies, which are my favorite. The next day our neighbor showed up at the door with her special homemade pumpkin bread. Yes, she knows I'm gluten intolerant. I had a couple bites. Delicious. A day or so later I think I am coming down with a cold--my sinuses are clogged, my chest is tight, I am wheezing, and coughing, coughing, coughing. But I feel fine, I'm not sick. What's up? It's the gluten. 

Okay, so what else is new? Sewing! Yep, I'm going full steam ahead on the elephant quilt. 

I finalized the drawing. Man, I agonized over the drawing way too long! This is as good as it's going to get. You heard me.



I traced it onto freezer paper and began cutting up the templates and piecing. 



The templates. Fiddly, isn't it.



This is where I am so far. There are a few pieces I'd like to change but I don't think I'll bother. 


I have no idea why I am making such an unusual quilt. It is directing ME, not the other way around. Trust me when I tell you it demanded to be made. Hey, who am I to go against the Muse?  

Comments

Becky B said…
Love that you are back to making art! You are an inspiration!!
Your agonizing over the drawing paid off as it looks great! Hope you're feeling better now.