Meanwhile Back at the Ranch

We really do live on a ranch, Rancho Santa Margarita de los Flores. At one time this rancho encompassed about hundreds of thousands of acres from Oceanside to Santa Ana. The freeway came in 1951 (I-5), and then the government came in and took a huge chunk (Camp Pendleton Marine Corps). There was nothing between Oceanside and Santa Ana except for Mission San Juan Capistrano in the late 1800s. Over time they have parceled out the land and built residential communities like Mission Viejo, Santa Margarita, and San Clemente. Many of our streets are named for it's founders and ranchers.

The rodeo is in town and it's a big deal. There have been many ancillary events leading up to the rodeo this weekend (we are not going this year). We got to go to the working area of the ranch, Rancho Mission Viejo, which is just a couple miles from our community. Over yonder, ya might say.


We learned how to rope cattle. These little steers are bred just for this sport and it's all they know. 


See em lined up in the chute? They can't wait for their turn. They are not skeert at all. Those black vans in the background are our rides. They take us all kinds of places. 


Some cowboys, just shootin the shit. I made a video to share but my laptop died and I can't get my desktop computer to upload it. Maybe I'll figure it out, maybe I won't. Maybe I'll get a new laptop.

They raise bucking bulls, too. That's all they do, too. Nothing else. They have been selectively bred to be the best buckers. Rodeo is a serious sport. Each bull is numbered and there is a catalog of each one and its particular characteristics. They cut down their horns so they won't gore a horse or rider.


Meanwhile around home, it's business as usual. JJ is playing tournament bridge regularly now, we play social bridge on Mondays, and I have golf on Wednesdays. I have not been playing well lately. In fact, I suck. Seriously. 

I found this picture in my camera. I wish I could remember how I made this, because I remember it was really really good. Mediterranean Chicken, I think it was called. I remember it had sun dried tomatoes and olives. 


Other'n that, it's just retirement as usual. The way it's supposed to be. 

Comments

Sue said…
Sorry about the golf.....precisely why I'm not playing. We have rodeos here but mostly just local ranchers and kids....not the polished affairs of SOCA.
Sounds like life in your world rather mimics ours.....living in the slow lane has big rewards as well.