I’m BACK!!

I think. I hope. I never actually went anywhere, my laptop died, and I mean DIED. I got the blue screen of death. I took it to Best Buy to see what could be done with it and they couldn’t even get it to turn on.

All my photos and writings are on that computer. Fortunately I saved all the travel photos to disc, but I hadn’t backed up the everyday photos, or writings, in a while. The geek at Best Buy says they can try to get the data, money back guaranteed if they are unsuccessful.

Meanwhile I bought a new laptop. I waited a week for it to arrive, and I was literally doing a happy dance (more like a shimmy) when I answered the door for the FedEx guy.

I knew it would take some time to get it loaded with my favorite programs, customized and all that, but I had no idea how involved and problematic this process was going to be. My troubles started straight-out the box with a malware virus. I don’t know how it got there or where it came from, but it was blocking me and intercepting me every time I went online. It was one of those ones that comes with a scary red screen and you have to pay someone to take it off. I knew about these and I was not going to fork over my credit card to these shysters. No way. But still, it had control of my computer.

I learned a lot about malware and scareware Friday. This is a multimillion dollar business. I finally learned that if all else failed I could wipe the entire disk clean and start over. Well, I had nothing to lose and there was no data to be lost, so I went for it. Five hours later it was done. And the virus was gone. But some of the programs I had bought (they don’t send discs anymore, it’s all download-driven) didn’t want to let me have them a second time.

Just try to reach a live person at Microsoft. On a Saturday. Pretty impossible, but I got through in two hours. The first guy, whom I could not understand, couldn’t help me. He transferred me to Jorge, who spoke perfect English. I breathed a sigh of relief. And then I inadvertently touched the 1 button on the phone and lost the call. I wanted to cry. Everything I touched went south. It was like I was snake-bit. I even managed to take the desktop computer offline from the internet (it’s hardwired) for a while.

There’s more, but you know what? I finally got it. I got it and I am up and funning. Well maybe not Funning yet, there’s still a learning curve with the keyboard—I meant to type “running.” The keys are harder to push and in a different position than the old laptop, which served me very well for ten years.

A lot has changed in ten years how computers operate. They’re mostly app-driven today.

I just wonder how people who have never had a computer manage these startup issues. And what would one do without a second computer to look up how to troubleshoot the myriad problems? One piece of advice I’d give them is to get a Mac.

No pictures today because, well, there ain’t any on this machine yet.

Comments

Becky B said…
Good advise. Apple products are worth the extra $$.
Judy S. said…
Hey! I found you! Thanks for posting on my blog as that's how I tracked you down. How can I follow you on Bloglovin'? Whatever, I'm so glad to be back in touch.
Sue said…
Couldn't you have sent it back if it came with a virus?? How odd is that !! I love my aging MAC. Getting slower and heats up a bit but then, so do I. I'm an Apple fan across the board. But glad to have you back !
Oh my gosh, that's quite a story! Reminds me of why I pay extra for Apple products. So glad you're up and "funning" now. And here I thought you were just busy enjoying retirement! I like your new lamps.