What’s in Your Food?

I have been grain-free for almost one year. I woke up this morning and my chest was tight, a little reminder of the asthma I had for 25 years. (I no longer have asthma since I quit eating wheat.) I even had to use my inhaler, which made me jittery for most of the day.

JJ asked, “Did you eat any wheat yesterday?” Nope, I had 2 scrambled eggs, I ate a G-F (gluten free) protein bar on the golf course, then for dinner we had steak and salad (homemade marinade, homemade dressing). That was ALL. So I couldn’t explain the wheezing and achy joints. JJ said, “What was in that stuff you marinated the meat in?” It was my typical concoction of Worcestershire and teriyaki, lemon, garlic, and olive oil. I checked the labels. Sure enough, teriyaki contains wheat. I knew that, but I used such a negligible amount, and I rinsed it off before I cooked the steak. But it was enough to trigger a reaction.

I have a cast-iron digestive system and I don’t have celiac, but still I have to be SO CAREFUL! We rarely go out to eat anymore and I have to read every stinkin’ label because wheat is in everything—today I found it in canned beef broth. We don’t eat processed foods and we don’t eat grains at all. But I do cook with broth and spices, and those are places where wheat hides, even if it’s not listed on the label.

American wheat has been hybridized over the years to be resistant to pests, easier to harvest, and increase yield tenfold. The gluten content is off the charts and it’s why bread and pasta cause many people to have chronic health problems today.

But wait. There’s more.

Common wheat harvest protocol in the United States is a pre-harvest application of the herbicide Roundup or other herbicides containing the deadly active ingredient glyphosate. It causes the plant to die, releasing its seeds easily. Boom.

harvest-12-1

This has become routine over the past 15 years. It may not be the gluten, but the glyphosate, a toxic poison, that is slowly killing us and causing a myriad of increasingly prevalent health problems like autism and Alzheimer’s. LEARN MORE

We consume an enormous amount of wheat. Cereal or toaster waffles for breakfast, a sandwich or pizza for lunch, pretzels for a snack, and lasagna with garlic bread for dinner. Throw in a couple of cookies for a nighttime treat. That’s a lot of wheat in just one day. And corn, from which HFCS is made, is in practically every item on the supermarket shelf.
product

Could wheat be making you sick? Do you have any of these symptoms?

  • Joint pain
  • Itchy rashes
  • Canker sores
  • Asthma
  • Depression
  • Chronic sinus problems
  • Irritable bowel (IBS)
  • Migraines
  • Forgetfulness/attention deficit disorders

Could going wheat-free make you feel and function better than you have in years? It’s worth trying.

Comments

Sue said…
Our bodies are very sensitive to what we eat......"You are what you eat" Glad you were able to find the culprit. My grandson is gluten sensitive and he is a mess when he does eat it. His mother knew every source of wheat in every product. Now he's 19 and eating clean again.....(after a year in a fraternity and beer !! ) And back to the kid we know and love.

I'm reading "Whole" currently which is a real eye opener about nutrition and the efforts of big business to control it.
Reading about your change in eating habits these past few months has made me very aware of how many wheat-based products are offered to us. I'm lucky to not suffer from the ailments you listed, but as a weigh control measure I've been avoiding bread, pasta, baked goods and other starches. Avoiding them makes you so aware of how much there is out there on the grocery shelves and in restaurants. It's pretty amazing.

Glad you were able to solve the mystery of your sudden recurring asthma.
Anonymous said…
Well, I may skip eating bread, and I'm not a big pasta eater, but I enjoy cake/frosting. I do appreciate your info on foods. Processed foods are so salty and bad for me. Steamed broccoli is good these days. Big sister brought home large, seedless grapes--yummy! Do you think the mustard seed flowers are causing you grief? We have fragrant orange blossoms these spring days. I wish you wellness. M.