Tijeras Creek

I am so fortunate to live in an area surrounded by six public golf courses within 20 minutes of home. Some I like to play more than others, but it’s still great to have variety. Just to give you a sense of relativity, when I lived in the desert there were something like 30 public golf courses I could choose from. (There are 125 altogether, mostly private.)

For those of you who don’t know how to pronounce our strange Calispanish words, it’s “TehHAIRess.”

This is Tijeras Creek, one of my favorites. I played it yesterday for the second time. The first time was 15 years ago (I have been an avid golfer for 20+ years). It was a beautiful spring day and the weather was perfect.
1-DSCF1409

This is #10. I had no idea what I was getting into on the gnarly back nine, which is worlds different than the resort-like front. My tee shot rolled into that sand trap next to the water and it was all downhill from there. I took a 9x. 9 is the most strokes I can take on a hole based on my handicap index and “x” means I gave up and picked up my ball.
1-DSCF1410

See what I mean? Wicked. This is the creek that JJ fell into when we played here 15 years ago. We never did get the green slime out of his clothes and he gave up golf shortly after that.This is a par-3 downhill, I actually landed the green and then 3-putted for a bogey. The greens had recently been “punched” (aerated) and putting was impossible.
 1-DSCF1415

On the way “back” we saw many vistas of Saddleback, and the foreground is what is called “Chaparral.”
1-DSCF1412

4.5 hours later, we arrive at #18. The clubhouse is in the distance. I got 5 on this par-4 hole. That’s bogey. Bogey is good. 1-DSCF1416
Score for the day: 105.

Oh, and here’s a cut/paste from a post a few weeks ago.

This is #16 at Arroyo Trabuco, a short par-4. I can easily make par here…but I never have. I did it! I made par.
1-DSCF1405

Comments

I enjoy seeing the photos of your new neighborhood since my idea of California is either SF hills and bay or Southern CA beaches. I guess it must be pretty dry where you are so the green golf courses are a welcome change from the beautiful but brown mountains and chaperal. I gather that here in Boulder most everything was brown until clever pioneers figured out how to irrigate using water from the mountains.