Back To Reality

The holidays are over, YAY!!

And we are back to a stricter diet. I saw 179 today, which was a private milestone. That may seem like a lot to weigh, but—and I’m coming out of hiding about this—I started this diet weighing 208. I can’t believe I’m telling you this.

I always felt if I kept my weight under 200 I was good. But then it started to creep up, and with our busy travel and social life, plus the general busy-ness of life. I stopped getting on the scale. And then I saw a picture of myself and denial was over. We were at a family reunion and the relative who I always thought was really huge? I was bigger.

Today I am 29 pounds lighter. (I am not done yet.) I took 3 inches out of my golf shorts over the weekend because they were about to fall off. These are the same clothes I could barely squeeze into before. Golf clothes are ridiculously expensive and I don’t want to buy any in the interim if I don’t have to, so I am making do and looking a little like a ragamuffin out there. Like I said, I’m not done yet, but I can buy cute golf clothes in the pro shop now (meaning I don’t have to go looking online for plus size), and I can’t describe how wonderful that is.
1-DSCF1393

I went golfing yesterday. This is Saddleback mountain, which is not its real name but what everybody calls it, and it dominates the landscape in south Orange County. We had a frost here over the New Year’s holiday and you can see the grass has taken a hit. Anyway, Linda, my golf partner, asked what my goal [weight] was. I had to say I don’t have a target number, I really don’t know where I will end up.

But this post didn’t start out to be about weight loss, it was to show you the finished landscaping. So let’s get to it—and I promise no more pictures of landscape! We just love it—Bill did a fabulous job on everything. You may wonder why we have such a “jagged” wall and not a straight one…a bistro table and chairs, and orange umbrella, will go in that “notch” across from of the hose. The fountain takes up one of the large planting areas, and light-blocking bushes take up the other one. I would like to put awnings up over the dining room and bedroom windows. The back is south-facing and we really need them in winter. Maybe next year. 1-IMG_1540

By night…1-IMG_1547

This is my little spa. We barely had space for it, but we made it work and I just love it. It’s a wonderful thing.1-IMG_1543

Bill even gave us a nice side yard.1-IMG_1550

This is the view from the house. When we get a table it will go there. It’s a little cloudy today. 1-IMG_1552

We didn’t really do much to the front except change out a few plants and put some path lights at the steps leading up to our porch. It looks nice but I can’t get a good photo until the sun moves farther north.

Here’s a “before” picture.DSCF1373

Here’s something you don’t see every day.IMG_1532

Can you tell what it is? I’ll zoom out.IMG_1530

The glass in our bedroom window broke into a zillion pieces and fell out, hunk by hunk. Every time we walked into the room or rolled over in bed another bit would fall. Jim taped it but it did no good. Fortunately it’s a dual-paned window. We have several theories how this might have happened, but the truth is we have no idea. Yes, they will fix it. 

That’s all for now, see you next time!

Comments

Sue said…
Just catching up on all of your doings.........good for you on your dedication to healthier eating....it's not easy in our senior years. When I get to be 90, I'm going to eat butter on everything and ice cream for breakfast.
Landscaping looks very user friendly and capitalized on the space....very very perfect.
We had a glass door break one time....only it was a single panel back in the old days....That also looks like a patio table top that exploded a couple years ago...Messy and expensive.....
Enjoy your new spaces.........looks like the spa is clothing optional in the dark ! Altho, with your new silhouette, maybe you'll try it in the sun !!
Mary said…
Congrats on getting under 180! Goodbye and good riddance to plus size clothes! I know that feels good! I'm out of plus size clothes myself now and am so happy about it.

Love the landscaping, especially the night lighting. Very inviting. I bet that spa is wonderful at night.

Where were you when the bedroom window glass broke? It sure would have been scary if it happened at night while you were trying to sleep.
Anonymous said…
Congrats on the weight loss~you always look beautiful but feeling better is the real plus side.