Like Riding a Bicycle

I had fun making this little (75 x 15) piece. I think I made it in four days, that has to be some kind of record for me. The free-motion quilting is stars and holly, with ribbons. The ribbons are no-brainers and allow me the breathing room to look ahead and maneuver into position for the next motifs. I don’t draw on the fabric (my pens all dried up in the desert anyway), I just sew and go. However, I do practice on paper until the design is committed to memory. If I get lost I just sew over to the side to stop and plan my next move.

1-IMG_1319

I chose a honey-colored rayon instead of a metallic because I didn’t want the hassle of sewing with metallic thread, which can be so temperamental. It has a nice sheen. Sorry, we’re a bit out of focus here. Happens.

1-IMG_1318

Here’s a shot of the underside because my sister Mike likes to see the back. I used white rayon thread in the bobbin. The Janome performed perfectly despite being in dry dock for almost a year.

1-IMG_1320-001

Finally, I glued sequin stars in clusters…well, I started to. But my glue dried up like my pens, so I need to go to Michael’s before I wreck the whole thing. I almost finished it without mishap…sigh.

On the home front, our landscape plans have been approved and groundbreaking should commence next week. Yippee!

In other news, I am reading Grain Brain by David Perlmutter, MD.KRUPP KOMMUNICATIONS GRAIN BRAIN

It was first recommended to me by Judy of Stitch Along With Me.  There was a long wait at the digital library, but I finally got to the front of the line and I have been nose-in ever since. Thank you, Judy! I have been a Perlmutter fan ever since, and now I get to read the book for free! I have a bunch of other books I should be reading, like the book club selection for example, but I can’t put this one down. I have been reading everything I can get my hands on since I learned about this wheat stuff. I’m positively rabid. And, for the record, we are five months wheat free. Jim has lost 27 pounds. Only 21 for me, but I still drink wine. I’m not in any hurry.

Comments

Libby Fife said…
I like how this is looking! Christmas but not Christmas:)
Allison Aller said…
Well it is good to see you getting back to work, Ri'!
Sue said…
I'm so impressed with your persistence….but when you get such good results, why not stay with it…..Can you eat oatmeal? I guess I need to read the book to understand what is allowed and what is verboten. Not sure I could give up my oatmeal and blueberries. But, vegan eaten is much more appealing for me. And yes, wine will always be part of my life as well.
The results you've had from changing your diet are amazing! It's incredible all the medicine you now aren't needing to take. I've been inspired to view wheat products with a wary eye. Wondered if you were still able to drink at those fun-sounding happy hours!
Anonymous said…
Middle Sister says the runner is lovely, and, yes, everything about the back is just beautiful! Good fabric choice for the back. So glad to see you quilting. I've been looking at sewing machines with front loading bobbins and top loading bobbins. Choices, choices, choices. Still looking for my old, cheap machine in the garage. M