Dog Days of August

I love dogs. Especially little ones with big attitudes.

But that's not what today's blog is about. It's summer, and every summer two events happen. First is my birthday in July. This year I spent my birthday in an airplane, not exactly a party, but it beats the year I spent it in the ER. I had a searing pain in my gut like I never felt before. And, thankfully, never again.

The second event is our Anniversary. This year marks 29 years.


I was 35 and Jim was 41. We had the wedding in our backyard, which was largely pool and cement, and it was so hot you could fry an egg on the asphalt. Look at those plastic champagne glasses. We wouldn't dream of drinking champagne out of those today, LOL. 

But we didn't have a lot of money then. The budget was tight. We did everything ourselves, I cooked all the food ahead of time and froze it, and our roommates took care of the bar and cleanup. Jim's mom made the cake. We spent the afternoon "working the room," and neither of us ate anything all day. By the time we got to our hotel room at 11 PM we were pasted and famished. We looked out the window and saw Tony Roma's, and we knew they stayed open until midnight, so we were out of that room in ten seconds, tucking into barbecued baby backs and an onion loaf. 

Today we're 64 and 70 and we're still going strong. We still laugh at each other's jokes and we still delight in each other's company even though we're together 24/7/365. It's like a fine, aged whiskey--smooth and mellow, and only improves with age. At the end of the day, that's really what's important. 

Happy Anniversary, Darling. I love you. 

Comments

Teri said…
You guys are the cutest couple! Then and now. Ahem.. I had plastic at my wedding to.. lol
Happy Anniversary!!
Libby Fife said…
AAWWWWWWWWWWWW! I just love seeing two happy people in a long marriage. Congratulations!
Fitzy said…
Congrats darlin', xoxo
Irene said…
Awww, what a wonderful picture. Happy Anniversary and congratulations on such a happy marriage!
Sue said…
Beautifully said!! Congratulations and wishing you many more 24/7/365's. Really good looking couple then and now. Sue
Anonymous said…
Congratulations! Enjoyed your blog and photos. The sun is still shining on the top of your pretty locks. You are a doll!
xoxo
Mikie
Annie said…
Congratulations to Rian and Jim on your anniversary! I have a Jim too and we had our 51st this past May. Wishing you many more good years.
Judy S. said…
very belated Happy Birthday, and a Happy Anniversary as well. Lots more years together also!
dee said…
Happy Anniversary you two. What a lovely post Rian and how lucky you are. Raising a glass to another year of health and happiness.