Winding Down

We have a day at sea today and tonight is the last formal night (which always means lobster). We’ve got a bottle of champagne to consume with some of our new pals before dinner, and then it’s early to bed. Last night we disco’d until the wee hours and I have played my last hand of Blackjack.

Yesterday we were in Halong Bay, Viet Nam, but we only went ashore, we didn’t take the all-day trip into Hanoi, which is 3.5 hours away (and 3.5 hours back). I haven’t yet found out if we missed anything by not going. We sailed past some unusual rock formations into the bay, which I’m sure was scary for the captain, as this is our ship’s first voyage to southeast Asia.

IMG_8721

There was little onshore to see (or buy), plus it was foggy. Foggy like pea soup. We bought some postcards, not because we wanted them but because we felt that the $2 might make a difference in whether the old woman’s family ate that night. Now that cruise ships have started going there, the town (overstatement) will likely become more developed for tourism. What would you guess is Viet Nam’s number one export?**

We squeezed a lot of fun out of this trip, which at 40 days was a little too long. But we saw a lot of wonderful things and met many lovely people. We had an enjoyable cruise, but we are ready to come home. We are deeply in need of haircuts and pedicures and, for me, I miss my studio and golf. I actually have dreams of petting my fabric and of playing a frustrating round of golf. And, I have to say this, I can’t wait to get back to our dry climate. The humidity here has been problematic for me—my head sweats, my hair curls, and I can’t get dry. I’m always drippy.

Tomorrow we have a full day in Hong Kong. We have been there before so we won’t take a tour, instead we’ll head to the world’s best shopping street, Nathan Road. The weather is supposed to be good (albeit humid). We fly out the next day (Sunday?) and get home a couple hours after we leave, due to the dateline. I am not looking forward to the impossibly long flight (coach) followed by the three-hour drive to La Quinta from LAX.

Thanks for following along with me, I hope you enjoyed it and maybe you learned something about the world that you didn’t know before. We wish you a very Merry Christmas.

 

 

**Coffee. Viet Nam is the second-largest coffee producer in the world. We also learned that coffee is only grown within 500 miles of the equator, and only in the mountains. It will not grow in low altitude.

Comments

Libby Fife said…
This segment of the trip has looked pretty interesting (and enjoyable). I know next to nothing about this area of the country; I was born in 1970 and my high school history surely didn't cover the war there (Viet Nam). The countryside though looks really beautiful. Have a safe trip home:)
Marilyn said…
I can't tell you to enjoy your flight home - that is a long one! Hope that you sleep well on the plane. Don't envy you on that drive home from LAX either. We hate flying out of LAX. Use San Diego now whenever we can.

It has been in the 60's here at home in the desert with very chilly nights. Looks like a beautiful day here today.

Your trip sounds wonderful, so many interesting and beautiful places.

Welcome home!

Marilyn
Sue said…
What an amazing trip !! I am so glad you could take us along for the highlights.....and lowlights. You will have such lasting memories of good times, and new friends as a result of those 40 days and 40 nights.

And no let down as you'll bounce right into good golf and great weather.

Merry Christmas back in the comfort of your home !