Brand New Day, Brand New Attitude

beautiful-sunrise

Yesterday I was in a funk. I wrote about the theft of my wedding rings and the keying of JJ’s car. It was cathartic to write about it.

Yesterday I didn’t feel like doing much. I wouldn’t say I felt sorry for myself, but I didn’t have any gumption. My chi was low.

No matter what negative things happen to you and around you on your journey, life continues to flow. JJ suggested we go out to happy hour—it had been the plan, but I was still kinda punky. But I took a shower, put on clean clothes, and said, “Let’s do it. Enough with the blahs.” We had a nice time—uneventful, but pleasant. I had mussels and garlic cheese bread; J had crab cakes, which I love, but I’m allergic. On the way home we stopped for gas and I went in the market to check it out because it said “MEAT” on the sign, and I wanted to see what they had. It was an old, rather dilapidated place, privately owned, which in this day of bright mega chains must be nearly impossible to keep going, especially given the economy.

Anyway, there was an old man inside with long white hair and old clothes pushing a wheelchair that held a severely brain-damaged/disabled young man. He was skin and bones and so twisted up that only his one eye stared at the ceiling. I immediately changed my attitude to one of gratitude.

My rings are just things. Big deal--I can get new ones. There are a lot of people who have real loss. Like the young woman who lost some body parts when she fell into a river or the model who walked into a propeller. How about the many people who lost lives and loved ones in the senseless cinema shooting in Colorado. And let’s not forget our wounded warriors. Never forget them.

Closer to my heart, my golfing friend Linda is caring for her husband who is suffering with inoperable brain cancer. My blog-friend Nellie recently lost both breasts to cancer. Another blog-friend, Sophie, still teeters with unsecure employment. My dear sister lost her beloved 13-year-old grandson Daniel Monday. He didn’t die, but he was removed from their home because he suffers from mental problems that haven’t been figured out yet and my sister can no longer manage him and his increasingly violent nature. She’s heartbroken.

Real loss. And these are just a few.

Have a great day, I know I will.

Comments

Libby Fife said…
It's hard isn't it? Someone else's misery puts your own problems in perspective. But maybe looking at it that way isn't all there is. Maybe acknowledging your feelings and then getting going is the way to go. Or maybe knowing that we are all in the same leaky boat, one way or another-all of us human together. It's just tough. Losing my wedding ring would be devastating. Happy hour sounded good though:)
Beverly said…
I wholeheartedly agree with Libby, and I'd add that life can be tough- but the tough get up and keep going, one way or another. Keeping things in perspective is a large part of that.

How sad for your sister. In my line of work, I see that kind of situation all the time. It is indeed heartbreaking.
Debra Spincic said…
Loss hurts. There is no getting around it. But, we can still move forward and not let it cripple us.
perspective changes everything. Every single day, moment, event, is a gift I am forever grateful for.
jenclair said…
Acknowledging hurt and loss intellectually is easier than dealing with it emotionally.

Sometimes it does help to evaluate events in an overall scheme of things. As Karen says, "perspective changes everything." Doesn't mean you forget your own hurts, but sometimes makes it easier to accept.
Judy S. said…
Gosh, some people! That's a crummy deal for you to have your rings stolen that way and your car defaced, but you're right that there are worse things. It's hard though to think of that though when it's happening to you. Sure hope they catch the guy and give him whatfor! Hope the rest of your week is much better!
Kay said…
You have had terrible luck lately! But you're right these are just things, insured. How terrible for your sister! A bit close to home for me.
Barbara C said…
I'm sorry for your recent bad experiences, though it sounds like, with a little time, you've put things in perspective. I have enjoyed seeing some the the sights from my days living in San Diego. It's always been such a beautiful place, and being near the beach must be a real treat.
Irene said…
Rian, I love your attitude. I think as we get older 'things' become less important and people are what matter. A good friend lost everything she owned in a house fire a few years ago - she said it really put into perspective what is important - stuff can be replaced - people can't. It's still awful that there are people in this world that would do things like that, but I'm glad you haven't let them get the better of you.