Sweet ‘n Tangy Chicken

First up, a new chicken recipe. This one is super quick, super easy, and super delicious—my three criteria. It’s diet friendly, too. Four for four.

IMG_7129

Please excuse the frozen veggies in the background. Tomorrow is market day and we are out of freshies.

The original recipe was for pork, but we did chicken. This is for ONE boneless, skinless chicken breast (we split one), for two people.

1/3 cup reduced-sugar apricot jam (I used Smucker’s Simply Fruit)
1-1/2 teaspoons reduced sodium soy sauce
1 Tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1 Tablespoon water
1 teaspoon canola oil
1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
3 or 4 green onions, sliced

In a small bowl, combine the jam, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, and water.

Pound the chicken breast to an even thickness. Season with salt and pepper.

Heat a skillet very hot, add the oil, and the chicken breast. Brown on both sides. Turn down the heat to med-low. Add the sauce and cook for a few minutes until the sauce reduces and is thick and bubbly and the chicken is done. Bada bing! That’s it!

Slice the chicken and sprinkle with chopped green onions.

Next, something positively cute. At least *I* think so.

IMG_7132

I made this pillow to match Savanna’s fairy quilt. The green ruffle is the same fabric as the binding. I never made a ruffled anything before, and I pondered my approach. I remembered that my 63-year-old Featherweight had a ruffler attachment.

120598-4518

I oiled up the contraption, which probably hadn’t been used since 1953, and straightened out the bent parts. While trying to figure out how it worked, it looked as if it might fit on my Janome, so I tried it, and wouldn’t you know it, it worked. I had troubles with the thread pulling, but if I went slow and pulled it taut, it worked. Who’da thought!

IMG_7133 

Here’s the back. The Night Side. The sparkles are cool

I had to laugh when I went into the studio to take the pictures tonight. When I knocked off for the day, Ted was sitting upright on the pillow and smiling. Tonight he was flat out with his tongue hanging out.  Yes it’s hot in here, and I’m easily amused.

IMG_7131

Comments

Libby Fife said…
Love the quilt/pillow combo and the ruffle is a great touch. I like giving an ensemble better than just the quilt.

That apricot chicken is a winner isn't it? Your recipe looks simpler than mine so I will of course defer:)

Poor Ted! Get the boy some air!
Debra Spincic said…
You really cannot beat a ruffler for pretty ruffles. I had trouble getting mine attached to the Janome last time I wanted to use it but it was probably just my impatience.

Really cute pillow and quilt set!
Irene said…
Your pillow looks great. I have one of those ruffler attachments for my Featherweight too, but I don't think it's ever seen the light of day.

I'm going to try your chicken recipe - it looks yummy and I love easy!!
DebbyMc said…
Oooh, another yummy chicken recipe =-) DH will love it, and I like it that I have very simple meat recipes to make for him since I don't eat meat and I'm always scrambling to find something for him since he does...dinner time is a blast here...=-p
Oh I am trying that chicken recipe tomorrow. Love the pillow and I am feeling like teddy in the returning heat!
DebbyMc said…
Just finished dinner using this recipe, dh LOVED it! I even tasted it, even tho I'm veggie =-) Really good, Rian! I used the sauce on my brown rice, delicious. I added a nice sprinkle of red pepper flakes...yum! Thanks for another winner =-)
DebbyMc said…
Just finished dinner using this recipe, dh LOVED it! I even tasted it, even tho I'm veggie =-) Really good, Rian! I used the sauce on my brown rice, delicious. I added a nice sprinkle of red pepper flakes...yum! Thanks for another winner =-)
Marty52 said…
Yummy looking recipe, Rian. I'll bet a little sesame oil in that would be good, too. Looks like a keeper!
Sue said…
Keep those recipes coming..........
I have a Featherweight also with that attachment but don't see a need for ruffles in my future.....good creative thinking on your part !
Nice fresh look to the blog .......