Wednesday, June 20

North to Alaska

Hi Y’all, I have not fallen off the planet. I have been traveling. We went on a cruise to Alaska with my girlfriend Carol, whom I have known since first grade, and her friend Pat. It was pretty cold, but we had a blast.

IMG_6684
We rode helicopters.

IMG_6706
And dogsleds.

IMG_6655
And floatplanes. Here’s a view of tiny Ketchikan from above. The ports in Alaska are overrun with jewelry shops now. Sad.

IMG_6694
This is what it looks like to be pulled by a team of dogs across a glacier.

IMG_6826
We saw otters.

IMG_6864
But we did not see many bears. This one was at the Wildlife Conservation Center.

IMG_6872
I captured some shots of a raven.

IMG_6964
And an eagle. Aren’t they magnificent birds.

IMG_6945
We went fishing for salmon and rainbow trout on the Kenai River. This is our cousin Chuck. He lives in Cooper Landing—a beautiful place. He goes on about fishing holes like I do about golf holes.

IMG_7057
We ended the trip in idyllic Homer. This is the Homer Spit. I was coming down with a cold this day and took very few photos.

IMG_7062
And then we saw a moose.

It’s good to be home where it’s warm.

IMG_6719

10 comments:

Barbara C said...

Welcome home Rian, great pictures as always. I visited Ketchikan when a friend lived there in the 80s. I remember the great hiking and there were so many eagles, a bird I'd never seen in real life before.

Debra Spincic said...

It seems funny to see snow pictures in June! Hope you kick the cold to the curb.

Libby Fife said...

I am not a cold climate person but those pictures are gorgeous! Such a beautiful landscape-it looks so peaceful.

I hope you are feeling better, have gotten all of the laundry done, and are getting back to normal:)

Beverly said...

Gorgeous pictures, thanks for taking us along on your trip. Hope you are feeling better soon!

Sue said...

It must have been a real shock to your system to go from 100 degrees to below freezing !! Yes, we found all the cruise ports to be a disappointment except for Sitka which has banned cruise ship shops and still has some character. Loved your great pics of the real Alaska. Glad to see a good looking Raven up there as well !!! Welcome back.

Deb H said...

I really was sorry we couldn't get together. I think you left the day it got warm. We had 80 degrees here on the weekend. That was 4 days after it snowed & 40 degrees here. Life is always an adventure!

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

Polar opposites from where you live.
Snow is so peaceful and quiet. There are good things to snow.

Irene said...

Wonderful pictures and it sounds like you had a blast. I've always wanted to see a moose - I'm jealous!

Hope you and JJ are feeling better soon. Hugs.

jenclair said...

Great pictures! Oh, the snow--how wonderful that looks; a relief from the sweltering heat.

Kay said...

Wonderful,pictures! Too bad the aftermath was so unpleasant.