Table Runner Still a WIP

Although I did finish piecing it. In the picture it looks like it has a border or two, but that’s the batting and backing. It will have no borders. I think I’ll bind it in black.
IMG_6486
I am quilting it with a freehand tossed leaf/vine quilt pattern. I’m using a very bright chartreuse color thread. No reason, I just liked it and it looks good on both light and dark background.
IMG_6488
In other news, IT’S ARTICHOKE SEASON!! Finally!
IMG_6485
I wanted to show you this artichoke for a reason: It’s a frosted artichoke. Having lived in artichoke country for years, I know a thing or two about chokes, and frosted artichokes are best. Forget those smooth pointy ones and the hybrids with no prickers on the leaves. This is what you want. The reason I mention it is I saw some people at the store say these were bad and I didn’t want YOU to pass up the best artichokes of the season. Choose the ones with the fattest stems and you will be a happy person.
Here’s my recipe for artichoke dip:
1/3 cup Best Foods (Hellman’s) Mayonnaise
1 tsp canola oil
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp dried oregano, crushed
salt and pepper
This will make enough dip for two people/two artichokes.
You can vary the dip by adding fresh lemon and garlic instead of the vinegar and oregano. Yes, they’re labor-intensive to prepare and eat, but oh, so worth the trouble.

I shot 100 at golf Thursday and I was happy…except for that ONE putt that missed the hole by 1/8 inch I would have had a 99. I found my swing again and I was bombing it down the fairway. Woo Hoo!

Comments

Libby Fife said…
I did not know that. They are good aren't they? I'll have a look for these other kind when I am at the store next:)
Debra Spincic said…
What? Quilting? Am I in the right place? (Looks super!)
DebbyMc said…
Ohhhhh, loves me some chokes!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best time of the year! =-)
jenclair said…
The table runner looks great, Rian!

Mmmmmm on the artichoke and dip!
Sue said…
OK, you've set the bar pretty high and I'm going to try and jump over it this afternoon ..... unless I give up and switch to cold beer on the back 9. Glad the ball is flying again !! Great fabric choices.

Love those artichokes....my sister lives near the Giant Artichoke in Monterey Co and the deep fried hearts are so sinful.....
Judy S. said…
Like that table runner~great colors, too!
Anonymous said…
Freehand tossed leaf/vine quilt pattern--now that's fantastic! And, I love the colors! You're back in the swing of things--golf and quilting. Have a good spring!

xoxo Mikie
I love the runner and the fabric choices.

I hate to admit this but I still do not know how to handle an artichoke. I love them but I could use a tutorial on how to get to the heart without only ending up with a spoonful.