Artichoke Heaven

Here’s how I make artichokes. We eat a ton of artichokes this time of year. We love ‘em. High in fiber, rich in antioxidants. And they taste amazing.

First, apologies for some of the photos. I didn’t want to use flash and it was getting late in the day.

Put one of those steamer thingies in a pot and add water, over the bottom of the steamer. A little too much water is better than having it go dry—that’s not pretty. Add a generous amount of salt, and put it on the stove over medium-high heat.

IMG_6498

Meanwhile, prep the artichokes. Holding onto the stem, snip the tips of the leaves.

IMG_6499

Then cut off the top and the stem.

IMG_6500

Pop ‘em in the pot and put on the lid. You put the salt in, didn’t you? Good.

IMG_6501

While they are cooking, let’s make some dipping sauce. I start with mayonnaise, then add a little olive oil to loosen it up—mine looks funny because, with the climate I live in, I keep it in the fridge.  I’m using lemon and garlic today.

IMG_6505

Along the way I decided I was in the mood for a spicy, chipotle flavor. Use any herbs or spices you like. Taste as you go. Make it your own.

IMG_6508

At about 15 minutes flip the artichokes so the leaves don’t dry out. Put the lid back on.

IMG_6509

After 30 minutes, I pulled out a leaf to test. Still a little underdone. You could cook ‘em 10 minutes more, or you could quit now and finish ‘em later in the microwave…or….you could finish ‘em on the grill.

IMG_6511

Before I finish them, I cut them in half and remove the choke. I use a spoon. It works the best. When they’re cooked, the choke lifts right out.

IMG_6513

I like to drizzle them with olive oil and put them on the barbie. If you’ve got wood chips, even better. The grilling finishes the cooking, adds a little smokiness, and caramelizes them. About ten minutes.

IMG_6516

All done.

IMG_6517

Yeah, they’re labor-intensive. But they’re so good, I don’t mind. Not one bit.

Comments

Libby Fife said…
I always forget to trim the tops. And this summer, we will be finishing them on the grill as advised, thank you very much!
Judy S. said…
Looks yummy! Now when I see artichokes in the grocery store, I think of you and all that sunshine in Palm Desert. Hope you're having a great weekend. Ours has been pretty wet.
jenclair said…
OMG--these look so tasty!
The Calico Cat said…
Just last night, I saw Alton make Artichokes. I've only had them twice - I liked them both times, just never mustered up the courage to make them myself...
kathy b said…
I have always wondered just how to cook them. Thanks for the tutorial. Really must try it now
Thank you Rian. I just remembered you were going to post this and went back to look for it.

Fantastic and I love the idea of putting them on the grill at the end.

I am making some right away. Have to stop at the grocery today anyway.