Dates

Just a few miles from my house are bunches and bunches of date orchards. Let’s have a look.

IMG_4986

These are female date palms; the males do not bear fruit, but produce pollen. There is one male tree for every fifty female trees.

IMG_4981 copy

Let’s have a closer look inside those wrappers. Date palms were imported from the middle east, they’re not indigenous to California. The fruit has exotic names like Deglet Noor and Medjool.

IMG_4983

The date shake, however, IS indigenous to California, and something very special.
Here is the recipe:

Date Shake (1)

Don’t you just want to go out and get some dates? I like my dates stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped in bacon. Serious goodness.

Comments

Debra Spincic said…
1:50--some pretty serious odds for the guy palms!
DebbyMc said…
My first thought before reading all the way through was: DATE SHAKES!!! Lovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvve 'em!!
jenclair said…
What impressive trees! My mother used to make a date-nut roll for Christmas each year. I think I'm the only one who truly loved it, but she would make if for me. I've never found her recipe, but I think I'll look online for one.
Sue said…
Reminds me of the Wed. Farmer's Market in Santa Monica. I would go on trips with P to LA ( when he flew for the airline) and made sure I loaded up on the luscious dates and fresh flowers (he kept them in the cockpit for me).